Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rat's Country: A Meditation on Lurking


A meditation on lurking:  the cartoon where the private eye  in his trench coat and fedora hat lurks behind a tree.  The masked burglar, too, lurks and then makes his move, tiptoeing out of the house with the silverware in a bag over his shoulder.  Danger lurks everywhere.  The passenger next to you on the flight home has a bomb in his shoe.  No, it’s not him.  It’s the granny knitting on a bench in the train station you need to keep an eye on.

When I am not worried about dangers lurking behind every bush and tree, I am concerned about what I am leaving undone that was important to do.  What have I lost that I don’t know I have lost and will need any minute:  the keys to the car, the checkbook, something to stop the bleeding.  What will be revealed in the lightening bolt of sudden change?

No comments:

Post a Comment