Monday, November 16, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me


Happy Birthday to Me

No middle.  Too bad.  A rectangle  on slender  legs.
Ask my friends what  I  have said  worth remembering
Notice  that I love anything that
Crunches.  A ruminate
Yesterday  I tried.  God knows.  Today I begin with promises.

Men in  my dreams?  Always  familiar  but odd.
            Last night my  dentist  curled my  Cher
Hair in red rollers.
Chambray shirts.  Levis.  Suede  jacket.  Gold earrings.
            That’s me.   I sound like some  bitch from Jackson Hole.
            I don’t mean to.
Let’s say she was always interesting,  sometimes
            Beautiful.
Let’s imagine a fire.  She rushes into her house to save
            Five  things.  She  burns with  indecision.
Always says a childhood prayer.  Every night.
No middle.  Too bad.   Built  like a Snickers bar.
Dang.  She’s good company.


2 comments:

  1. ...and yes, happy birthday

    from my novice center these words tingle me
    many times
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! This is a very fun exercise in writing a "name poem." I'll bring the instructions to a CWC meeting sometime.

    ReplyDelete