Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Imaginary Conversations with Famous People


         Imaginary Conversation with Jane

ME:       When Jane reflects on her life
               I wonder if she ponders,
            I devoted myself to those
            who could never return in kind.

JANE:  Stop!  What a vacuous thought.
           You do not understand
           the privilege of detachment,
            watching births, deaths, and mating,
           not responsible for what I dare see.

ME:      I call your life a punishment.
            You were unloved, unbidden.
            You stayed too long a voyeur,
            so much of yourself hidden.

JANE:   I call your life a delusion.
            Did you suffer less loneliness than I?
             There, there.  Don't cry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment