Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Get to Work

"If I insist that my work be rewarding, that it mustn't be tedious or monotonous, I'm in trouble.

... Time after time it fails to become so.  So I get more agitated about it.  I fight with people about it.  I make more demands about it... It's ridiculous to demand that work always be pleasurable, because work is not necessarily pleasing; sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.  If we're detached and simply pick up the job we have to do and go ahead and do it, it's usually fairly satisfying.  Even jobs that are repugnant or dull or tedious tend to be quite satisfying, once we get right down to doing them... This happens when we just do what we have to do.

Thomas Merton from The Springs of Contemplation:  A Retreat at the Abbey of Gethsemani.


No comments:

Post a Comment