Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sooner or Later You Are Going to Have a Cormac McCarthy quote...

This is one of my favorites:



All my life, he said, I been witness to people showin’ up where they was supposed to be at various times after they’d said they’d be there.  I never heard one yet that didn’t have a reason for it.

Yessir

But there ain’t but one reason.

Yessir.

You know what it is?

No sir.

It’s that their word’s no good.  That’s the only reason there ever was or ever will be.

Yessir.

From The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy

2 comments:

  1. "their word's no good..." is one of those truths that can't be told often enough. Thanks.
    And thanks for reminding me of Cormac McCarthy. The Road is my current favorite--devastating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Actually, my husband is much more a Cormac McCarthy reader than I am. A guy thing?

    ReplyDelete