Monday, July 6, 2009

The Nevada Poems: Thank God for Hollyhocks



Thank God for Hollyhocks

"Thank God for hollyhocks," the ranch wife said
as she stood by the side of her truck.
"They go untended, not like everything else
around here."  She glanced at the house,
the barn, the cows in the fields beyond.

"Some say they're a poor excuse for a flower,
a large, coarse plant, like the plainest girl at the dance.  
But their colors are pure,
the sturdy stalks stand up to the wind,
the seeds easy to give to a friend.

What's best is they are familiar.
When I see hollyhocks," she sighed
"I know I'm home."

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could say this is my favorite, but they are all wonderful and remind me of your reading a few years ago. You know the place and your images are vivid and spiritual. Thanks for sharing them. Quita

    ReplyDelete